Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Milestones



As a parent we are faced with many different milestones. There are ones that make you proud, like the first time your baby says "mama." Then there are the ones that make you question yourself, like when find an empty beer bottle in their rooms. Last, there are the ones that break your heart, like today when Lyci looked at me and said, "Mommy you do not have to walk me in." My heart was broken.

I guess I should start with the conversation at home. We were getting ready for cheerleading tryouts, day 2. I asked if she wanted me to walk her in and she said yes. So, of course I was ready to complete my mommy duties of walking in and making sure things were good. Yesterday which was the first day of practice, she was stuck to me. I only left when I got the look that it was good to go. Lyci is such a mommy and daddy's girl, and is not embarassed to have me walk her places. She reminds me a lot of me.

Lyci is now a girl who walks into places on her own or with her friends. It is a fact of life, that I do not need to hold her hand for everything. I just hope there are still moments that she wants me to.

2 comments:

Valerie Koop said...

That is such a sad story!

Lyci, how is cheerleader try outs going??? I remember being so nervous!

Wishing you luck. Love you so much!

Aunt Val

Lindsay said...

Awww! I remember the day I told Mom not to walk me into school anymore, too.

Congratulations Lyci on cheerleading! Good luck!