Thursday, February 5, 2009

What do you say?


The other night I went to tuck Riain into bed, I laid down with him and we started talking. I am not sure how we got on the subject, but the conversation turned to where do babies come from. Well I was ready to yell for Brian, before I did, I asked Riain well where do you think they come from. He looked at me with a real grown up look and says, " Well mommy, I know there are 2 ways a mommy gets pregnant." I said ok, tell them to me. His first answer was very smart. He says well I know that sometimes a mommy can not get pregnant and a doctor has to help her. I said yes Riain that is true. Then I asked well what is the other way? And his answer just shows the innocence of this sweet boy.

He said well when a mommy and daddy love each other and they decide to have a baby. God sends the baby down and the mommy takes a deep breathe and she becomes pregnant. I was relieved. My response was, Riain you are absolutely right. I gave him a kiss and a hug, tucked him in and left his room with the biggest smile on my face.

Riain is not a typical 9 year old. He is very smart, he knows a lot about planes, wars, anything military, and about going green. But he is still so young in other ways. Thank goodness I dodged that bullet, I am not ready for the conversation with him.

1 comment:

Valerie Koop said...

What a sweet moment. Talk about dodging the bullet! Caeden asks me where babies come from and I just say "their Mommy's tummy" and that is good enough for him.

My time is coming, though, because just the other day he asked me where my penis was!